|Location :||Yaounde, CAMEROON|
|Application Deadline :||12-Apr-13|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-C|
|Languages Required :||English French|
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year|
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Senior Economist, and general guidance of the Deputy Resident Representative, the Economic Programme Specialist analyses the political and socio-economic landscape/trends and provides policy advisory services for enhancing the strategic orientation of UNDP’s work in Cameroon. S/he works with Government counterparts to identify alternative macroeconomic policy options to enhance the policy impact of UNDP/UN projects and programmes. The Specialist advocates for and represents UNDP in his/her area of expertise as requested by his/her supervisor. The Specialist maintains a network with colleagues from UNDP, UN Agencies, IFIs, Government officials, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society.
- Assessment of the country’s macro-economic policies and their impact on poverty reduction, inclusive and resilient growth, and the preparation of top quality analysis and reports.
- Provision of policy options, particularly from pro-poor perspectives, on macroeconomic and development.
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned.
- Training and capacity building support for UNDP staff and Government officials, public institutions on economic issues.
- Provision of top quality analysis and substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other strategic documents
- Identification of areas for UNDP support and adjustment of on-going programmes to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with national policies and priorities.
- Contribution to sub-regional, regional and inter-agency initiatives related to development/economic issues.
- Representation of UNDP in different working groups, including PRSP and MDGs.
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions.
- Application of RMB and oversight of the programme implementation cycle. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery targets and milestones.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NEX projects.
- Preparation of reports and follow up on audit recommendations.
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
Impact of results
The key results will contribute directly to the quality, relevance and strategic positioning of UNDP country programme in the area of inclusive economic growth and poverty reduction. These will include the creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for advocacy work
Identifying and building partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda
- Develops positive ties with civil society to build/strengthen UNDP’s mandate
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings
Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seeks new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Developing promotional projects and organizational messages
- Identifies and develops activities to enhance the visibility of UNDP
- Develops promotional activities based on monitoring/evaluation information identifying areas requiring higher visibility
- Reviews documents and materials intended for use within and outside the organization in order to ensure consistency and validity of messages
Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
Developing innovative and creative approaches
- Develops innovative and creative approaches to meet programme and capacity development objectives
- Participates in dialogue about conceptual innovation at the country and regional levels
Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Economics.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience (as per the TOR) to include experience at the national and/or international levels in providing direct economic and policy advice.
- Minimum 3 years of programme management experience (hands-on experience in the design, implementation, financial management, monitoring and reporting).
- Proven partnership, and resource mobilization experience.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work well and maintain good relations in a team as well as take initiative.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English and/or French and working knowledge of the other language.
- Fluency in both languages (reading, written and comprehension) highly preferred.
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.