- E T : Consultant
- : Energy and Mining
- : Consultant
- : EC2
- : Yaounde, Cameroon
- Local Hire
- : English [Essential]; French [Essential]
AFTG2 seeks an energy specialist (extended term consultant) to be based in Yaoundé, Cameroon to support Lighting Africa activities in the sub-region and support task managers to leverage modern-off grid lighting solutions into the Bank’s strategic, advisory, and operational work. The selected candidate will be engaged under local employment conditions and will report to the Washington-based Sector Manager. The contract will be for an initial duration of one year, renewable for a second year.
The Energy Specialist will be a core member of the AFTG2 team. The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support Lighting Africa activities in central and west Africa, including hands on technical support to task teams that are designing or supervising access projects that include Lighting Africa activities.
- Serve as a focal point for different stakeholders associated with modern off-grid lighting solutions (manufacturers, distributors, retailers, public sector, etc) in the sub-region related to market intelligence, quality assurance, business development services, access to finance, and public sector solutions.
- Actively participate in overseeing implementation of World Bank supported energy country programs with the aim to enhance quality and pro-poor focus and accelerate implementation. As part of a team, to prepare, appraise, negotiate and supervise energy projects.
- Contribute to analytical and advisory work, develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, support policy dialogue and keep abreast of developments in the energy sector of the respective countries of responsibilities.
Candidates applying for the position would be judged on the following criteria:
- A Masters’ level degree in Energy, Economics, Engineering, or Finance, or equivalent.
- At least 5 years work experience in the energy sector, in procurement and contract management. An experience in design and implementation of renewable or energy access activities would be a plus.
- Direct experience in at least one of the following areas: energy sector technologies, energy policy and regulation, rural electrification, renewable energy, energy and climate change, and/or utility reform.
- Hands-on project management experience, an ability to efficiently manage a large number of activities simultaneously, a flair for problem-solving and an ability to self-navigate through complex bureaucratic environments.
- Interpersonal skills, including written and oral communication skills;
- Understanding of World Bank’s operational and procurement procedures will be a distinct advantage.
- Fluency in French and English (written and spoken)
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) are necessary.
Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena - Understands policy making process; distills operationally relevant recommendations/lessons for clients.
Policy Dialogue Skills - Identifies and assesses policy issues and plays an active role in the dialogue with the government and/or other stakeholders.
Integrative Skills - Working to develop an integrated view across all facets of current sector.
Energy Sector Technologies - Direct experience with depth in at least one area: hydrocarbon, power generation, transmission and distribution, renewables, energy efficiency,low carbon strategies, etc.
Energy Policy, Strategy and Institutions - Familiarity with energy policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations.
Client Orientation - Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
Drive for Results - Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion - Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team's work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
Knowledge, Learning and Communication - Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others' work.