OBS & CAREER: STEVEDORING SUPERINTENDENT
We OfferBeing part of a highly diversified group with substantial activities in the logistics and terminal, means that we can offer a great many career paths. We believe people perform to their highest abilities when they are in charge of their career paths and professional growth.We will give you lots of responsability right from the start and expect you to excel at your job and be accountable for your results.You will have access to extensive learning tools and training programmes you would expect from a company of our size, and we encourage our employees to assume genuine ownership over their learning as they help to shape their own career paths.Development areas might be:
- Improve knowledge of financial impact of commercial decision
- Opportunity to work in a global ISF system
- Get exposure to other valuable tasks (Account Payables, internal Audit,.. in the short run.
- Get a good commercial insight following interaction with BDV/ Commercial and Operations departments.
- Exposure to a challenging environment that promotes continuous improvement
- opportunity for both professional and personal development.
- Relevant next career steps might be:
- Position in a higher level of Stevedoring management.
Under guidance of the Operations Manager, this position supervises a group of Operations Foremen; ensuring subordinates perform their jobs efficiently, safely and in a timely manner. Communicates vessel operations sequence and stevedoring requirements to subordinates. Executes the planned yard sequence and advises planners on information required.This position is responsible for:
Vessel & Yard
- Ensuring all stevedoring operations at the yard, gate or vessel are executed in accordance to priorities set by the Operations Manager, report any problem areas of stevedoring operations and implement the agreed changes to resolve the issues.
- Ensuring optimum utilisation of all equipment employed during the designated shift period by monitoring equipment work queues and allocating equipment and personnel where required to achieve maximum productivity.
- Supervising Operations foremen and ensuring each person knows what to do and when to do it for the vessel discharge and load in stevedoring operations according to plan in order to achieve the highest possible crane productivity.
- Acting as a focal point for any stevedoring issues and ensure the load and discharge registration is performed accurately and timely.
- Instructing subordinates in safe working practices and maintaining a watch over Operations area for unsafe working practices.
- Identifying and solving problems and issues within his competence on a daily basis that may arise with an assigned vessel to improve an untroubled operation.
- Monitoring continuous stevedoring operations by the use of the “hot seat” changeover at shift changeover times and rest break changeovers.
- Reporting problems and issues to the Operations Manager, when necessary especially issues of complexity or great impact on the operation.
- Supervising and controling all gate activities and administration ensuring accurate invoicing
- Ensuring Import/Export containers and break bulk cargoes received at the gate, and services performed include weighing the container and break bulk, inspection of the container for damage, cleanliness, etc.
- Providing appropriate equipment to offload/load container and break bulk and records charge for this service.
- Coordinating support and advice on heavy lift, hazardous and break-bulk activities in the Container and Conventional Terminal, such as loose cargo.
- Ensuring administrative activities, such as pre-billing advices, documents, gate passes and so forth are processed timely and correctly, and forwarded to Finance or other appropriate department.
- Interacting with customer to answer inquiries, convey information, and seek direction or approval for dispositions of containers.
- Maintaining of operational efficiencies in the terminal. Responsibility for the execution of day-to-day operational activities.
- Assisting in the improvement of existing methodologies, processes and measurements when executing duties on an ongoing basis.
Who we are looking forThis role requires:
- A professional standard of knowledge to lead teams through functional/general expertise in the port operations functions and cargo handling.
- Minimum 3 years in a similar role.
- Has understanding of basic tabulating methods, and general math aptitude.
- Has a high level of planning and organizational skills, has good leadership skills and excellent interpersonal skills, working with a highly diverse workforce.
- Has an in-depth understanding of different types of vessels and their characteristics, different types of cranes, equipment, heavy vehicles and their characteristics, different types of containers and cargo and their characteristics, different types of hoisting equipment and their characteristics, different types of lashing and their characteristics.
- Understands safety regulations, safe working procedures and safe materials handling procedures and follows safety and work instructions.
- Has the ability to communicate operational instructions and information & is able to understand commonly used hand signals to communicate without radio system.
- Has the ability to work as a team member and adhere to operational plans to achieve maximum productivity.
- Has thorough familiarity with the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices within marine, stevedoring and terminal operations.
- has a general knowledge on Government Agencies (especially Customs) imports and exports procedures
- Be proactive with sense or urgency
- Be a strong team player while at the same time being able to work independently.
- Be open-minded and deadlines care.
- Have a good working structure for execution and follow-up.
- Have excellent inter-personal, leadership and communication skills.
- Be well organized, time-minded with focus on quality.
- Have a good knowledge of port field, Shipping lines procedures and processes.
Applications must be submitted exclusively online at http://www.maersk.com/en/the-maersk-group/career/jobsLast
application date: 13 November 2014.
For further information, please contact: Charlotte.Fondin@apmterminals.com