The Melbourne International Research Scholarships (MIRS) are awarded to international students who wish to undertake graduate research degree studies (e.g. master’s by research, PhD or other research doctorate) at the University of Melbourne. Each year the University offers about 200 new Melbourne Research Scholarships (MRSs), of which about 150 are normally awarded to international students as MIRSs. Selection will be based on the eligibility criteria and academic merit. The application deadline is 31st May 2014. Applicants will get a RHD scholarship outcome before 31st July 2014.
Study Subject (s): These scholarships are provided to learn any of the courses offered by the University of Melbourne in Australia.
Course Level: These scholarships are awarded for students wishing to undertake graduate research degree studies at the University of Melbourne.
Scholarship Provider: University of Melbourne, Australia
Scholarship can be taken at: Australia
- To be considered for MIRS, applicants need to apply for scholarship and candidature in a graduate research degree course (eg. masters by research, PhD or other research doctorate) at the University of Melbourne.
- The academic requirements to be considered for the graduate research scholarships are the same as those that apply to entry for the PhD, and these requirements apply even if a scholarship is sought to undertake a master’s by research. The key academic requirements that applicants must meet are:
- Completion of tertiary studies that are at least equivalent to a four-year honours degree at an Australian University, and
- Applicants normally need to have completed a research project/component as part of their tertiary studies that accounts for at least 25% of their year’s work at 4th year or masters level.
- First Class Honours (ie. H1) results are required to be competitive.
- Both commencing and currently enrolled international research higher degree students may apply.
Scholarship Open for International Students: International students can apply for these scholarships.
Scholarship Description: The Melbourne International Research Scholarships (MIRS) is awarded to international students wishing to undertake graduate research degree studies at the University of Melbourne. MIRSs are funded by the University with each faculty having a limited number to award.
Number of award(s): Each year the University offers about 200 new Melbourne Research Scholarships (MRSs), of which about 150 are normally awarded to international students as MIRSs.
Duration of award(s): MRSs/MIRSs can be held from the second year of the course onwards (ie. for the PhD component only) and can be held for up to 3 years (or 3.5 years if an extension is approved) as for other PhDs and research doctorates.
What does it cover? Benefits provided by the MIRS include:
- a living allowance of $24,653 per annum (2013 rate)
- a Relocation Grant of $2,000 awarded to students who are moving from interstate in order to study at the University of Melbourne or $3,000 awarded to those who are moving from overseas
- a Thesis Allowance of up to $420 (2013 rate) for masters by research and up to $840 (2013 rate) for PhD and other doctorate by research candidates, and
- paid sick, maternity and parenting leave.
Selection Criteria: Selection will be based on the eligibility criteria and academic merit.
Notification: Applicants will be advised via email as soon as an outcome of their scholarship application is determined.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application deadline is 31st May 2014 AND applicants will receive a RHD scholarship outcome before 31 July 2014.