University of Melbourne offers Melbourne International Fee Remission Scholarships in Australia. Scholarships are available for pursuing graduate research degree studies at the University of Melbourne. Applicants who have commenced the graduate research degree for which they are seeking scholarship must have at least 12 months full time or equivalent candidature remaining from January 1st in the following year. A scholarship will not be offered to a student who, as a result of prior candidature and/or prior scholarship, is entitled to a maximum tenure of less than 12 months. The MIFRS covers full tuition costs but not overseas student health care.
Study Subject (s): Scholarships are provided to learn any of the courses offered by the University of Melbourne.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing graduate research degree (masters by research, PhD or other research doctorate) studies at the University of Melbourne.
Scholarship Provider: University of Melbourne, Australia
Scholarship can be taken at: Australia
- To be considered for a MIFRS, applicants need to apply for scholarship and candidature in a graduate research degree course (eg. masters by research, PhD or other research doctorate) at the University of Melbourne.
- Applicants who have commenced the graduate research degree for which they are seeking scholarship must have at least 12 months full time or equivalent candidature remaining from January 1st in the following year. A scholarship will not be offered to a student who, as a result of prior candidature and/or prior scholarship, is entitled to a maximum tenure of less than 12 months. The only exception to this is where a fee remission scholarship other than an IPRS/MIFRS was held previously and the student requires an MIFRS for less than 12 months.
- Applicants will only be considered for an IPRS in one selection round. Students who commenced their course in the year immediately before the current round of IPRS offers, and who was not considered in the previous round of IPRS offers, will be automatically identified by the MSO, considered for an IPRS and notified if they are to be offered a scholarship. An additional scholarship application is not required of these students.
Scholarship Open for International Students: International students can apply for these scholarships.
Scholarship Description: The Melbourne International Fee Remission Scholarship (MIFRS) is awarded to international students wishing to undertake graduate research degree studies at the University of Melbourne. MIFRSs are funded by the University with each faculty having a limited number to award.
Number of award(s): Each year the University of Melbourne offers about 150 MIFRSs.
Duration of award (s): The duration of a scholarship will be reduced if a study was undertaken towards the degree before commencement of the scholarship, during suspension of the scholarship (e.g. unpaid Leave of Absence), or during the tenure of a previous Australian Postgraduate Course Award (or APA).
- The maximum scholarship tenure excludes periods of leave (apart from overseas study leave). All durations are expressed as FTE (i.e. full-time equivalent.)
- IPRS and MIFRS recipients often hold a MIRS (a living allowance scholarship) as well. The MIRS cannot be
extended beyond 3.5 years for PhD and other research doctorate students. This means that if a second 6 month extension to the IPRS or MIFRS is approved, the student would need to cover their own living expenses for the final 6 months.
- Note that completion of a masters degree while holding a scholarship does not guarantee the award of a scholarship for research doctorate (eg. PhD) study.
What does it cover? The MIFRS covers full tuition costs, but not overseas student health care.
Selection Criteria: Selection will be based on the eligibility criteria and academic merit.
Notification: Applicants will be advised via email as soon as an outcome to their scholarship application is determined. Applicants who submit a application by 31 October 2013 will receive a RHD scholarship outcome before 15th February 2014 and who submit by 31st May 2014 will receive a RHD scholarship outcome before 31st July 2014.
How to Apply: International applicants are considered for the scholarship once their application is supported by their Faculty. For candidature hard copy applications are required from all applicants.
Scholarship Application Deadline: Applicants Deadlines are 31st October 2013 and 31st May 2014.