2013 UNESCO/People’s Republic of China Fellowships– The Great Wall Co-Sponsored Fellowships Programme for International Students. Twenty five (25) fellowships for advanced studies at undergraduate and postgraduate level are available. These fellowships, tenable at a selected number of Chinese universities, are of one year duration. These fellowships, which are in most cases to be conducted in English, are offered to senior advanced students wishing to pursue higher studies or intending to undertake individual research with periodic guidance from the assigned supervisor. In exceptional cases, candidates may be required to study the Chinese language before taking up research/study in their fields of interest.
Study Subject(s): Any applicant can choose one academic program and three institutions as their preferences from the Chinese HEIs designated by MOE.
Course Level: Fellowships are for advanced studies at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Scholarship Provider: China Scholarship Council (CSC) and United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
Scholarship can be taken at: China
- Hold at least the equivalent of the Master’s Degree/above or the Bachelor’s Degree;
- English proficiency is required;
- Be not more than 45 years of age; and
- Be in good health, both physically and mentally.
Scholarship Open for International Students:
These fellowships are for the benefit of developing Member States in Africa, Asia and the Pacific and certain countries in the Arab States.
Asia And The Pacific: 28 Member States: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Cook Islands, Democratic People’ S Republic Of Korea, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Republic Of), Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic Of Korea, Samoa, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Viet Nam
Africa: 46 Member States: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote D’ivoire, Democratic Republic Of The Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome And Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Swaziland, Togo, Uganda, United Republic Of Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Arab States: 2 Member States: Yemen, Palestine
With a view to promote international exchanges in the field of education, culture, communication,science and technology, and to enhancing friendship among peoples of the world, the Government of the People’s Republic of China has placed at the disposal of UNESCO for the academic year 2013-2014, under the co-sponsorship of UNESCO, twenty five (25) fellowships for advanced studies at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. These fellowships are for the benefit of developing Member States in Africa, Asia and the Pacific and certain countries in the Arab States (see list of invited countries). The fellowships, tenable at a selected number of Chinese universities, are of one year duration. These fellowships, which are in most cases to be conducted in English, are offered to senior advanced students wishing to pursue higher studies or intending to undertake individual research with periodic guidance from the assigned supervisor. In exceptional cases, candidates may be required to study the Chinese language before taking up research/study in their fields of interest.
Number of Fellowships: 25 fellowships are offered.
Duration of award(s): The fellowships, tenable at a selected number of Chinese universities, are of one year duration.
Selection of Beneficiaries:
The Chinese authorities will select the twenty-five (25) most qualified candidates. The National Commissions of the selected fellows will be duly informed by UNESCO.
Candidates not informed of their selection by 31 August 2013 should consider that their applications have not been approved
Facilities offered by the government of the people’s republic of china:
- A monthly living allowance of CNY 1,700 Yuan for general scholars or CNY 2.000 Yuan for senior scholars will be granted covering meals and pocket expenses;
- A one-time settlement subsidy of CNY 1,000 Yuan will be granted to those who will study in China less than one academic year, and CNY 1,500 Yuan to those who will study in China for one academic year and above, upon their arrival in China;
- Registration and tuition fees, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, fee for basic/necessary learning materials;
- Accommodation facilities (one dormitory room for two students);
- Fee for outpatient medical service for expenses generated in the institution’s hospital;
- Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Protection Scheme for International Students in China against hospitalizing for serious diseases and accidental injuries; and
- A one-time inter-city travel ticket (each for coming in and leaving China).
A hard – seat train ticket (hard-berth train ticket for overnight trip) will be provided for new scholarship students traveling from the port of entry upon registration to the city where the admitting institution of Chinese language institution or preparatory education institution is located; students traveling from the Chinese language institution or preparatory education institution to the city where the university for major study is located; and students traveling from the city where the institution is located to the nearest port of departure upon graduation.
-Costs beyond the university’s arrangements should be self-afforded.
-The students are to cover a certain percentage of expenses.Claim for compensation with the relevant payment receipts may be asked from the insurance company according to the stipulated insurance articles. The individual claim will not be accepted by the insurance company.
Facilities Offered by UNESCO:
- International travel to and from China; and
- Monthly allowance of US $150 to be paid in local currency (Chinese RMB) during their stay in China, in addition to the living allowance granted by the Government of the People’s Republic of China.
Important: No allowance to finance or lodge married couples or family members will be granted.
(Note: It is the National authorities’ responsibility to ensure that all candidates are duly informed of all the above-mentioned conditions before the submission of applications for the fellowships.)
How to apply:
All applications should be endorsed by the relevant Government body (the National Commission or Permanent Delegation) and must be made in English with the following attachments:
- Application form for UNESCO/China (The Great Wall) Fellowship in triplicate;
- 3 photographs;
- Notarized photocopies of diplomas and certificates, and school-certified transcripts of complete academic records (translated in English when applicable), in triplicate;
- Copy of the university’s invitation letter, for those students who have been admitted in advance by a Chinese university, in triplicate;
- Two letters of recommendation (in English) by professors or associate professors familiar with the work of the candidate, in triplicate;
- A study or research proposal containing no less than 400 words (in English) of the post-graduate study to be undertaken during the candidate’s stay in China, in triplicate;
- Foreigner Physical Examination form to be completed and communicated to UNESCO by 15 March 2012 (copy attached), in triplicate; and
- English language proficiency certificate, in triplicate.
Scholarship Application Deadline: 10th April 2013 is the deadline for applications.