European Molecular Biology Laboratory invites applications for the Spring Recruitment 2014. EMBL International PhD Programme is open for applicants of all nationalities from all disciplines focusing on basic research in the molecular life sciences. EMBL invites applications for PhD positions in Heidelberg, Grenoble, Hamburg, Hinxton (near Cambridge), and Monterotondo (near Rome). PhD positions come with generous fellowships including broad health care benefits and pension access. When applying for the EMBL International PhD Programme applicants select the two research units they are most interested in to work with. The application deadline is 18 November 2013.
Study Subject (s): PhD research topics are as follows:
- Cell Signalling and Cell Differentiation
- Cellular Organization and Dynamics (nucleus, cytoskeleton, membranes, intracellular trafficking), Cell division
- Chemistry & Chemical Biology
- Computational Genomics (Genome analysis and annotation) and Metagenomics
- Computational Modelling of Biological Systems and Processes
- Disease Mechanisms and Models, Pathogens, Molecular Medicine, Drug Design, Stem Cells
- Functional Genomics Genetics, Gene Networks
- Gene regulation, Transcription, Chromatin and Epigenetics
- Imaging & Image Analysis
- Macromolecular Complexes, Interaction Networks
- Neurobiology (from brain development to physiology and behavior)
- Physics & Biophysics
- Plant Biology
- RNA metabolism, transport and processing, ncRNAs and miRNAs
- Robotics & Automation, Engineering
- Software Development and Bioinformatics (incl. Text Mining, Semantic Web, Machine Learning, Statistics)
- Tissue Morphogenesis, Cell Polarity and Migration
- X-ray Crystallography, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, Electron Microscopy
Course Level: EMBL is offering PhD positions in Heidelberg, Grenoble, Hamburg, Hinxton and Monterotondo
Scholarship Provider: European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Scholarship can be taken at: Germany (Heidelberg), France (Grenoble), Germany (Hamburg), UK (Hinxton) and Italy (Monterotondo)
- applicants from all nationalities can apply
- applicants must hold, or anticipate receiving before enrollment (October of any given year), a university degree that would formally qualify them to enter a PhD or equivalent programme in the country where the degree was obtained.
- Proficiency in English, both written and verbal, is a prerequisite to enter the EMBL International PhD Programme
Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: International applicants can apply for these positions.
Scholarship Description: The EMBL International PhD Programme is Europe’s ‘best in class’ PhD programme for the life sciences. 200 students from over 40 countries are carrying out PhD research at EMBL at any time. Every year we admit an average of 50 new students, who belong to the top science graduates in their countries. They are carefully selected from a large multi-national pool of applicants that reached over 1700 applications in 2012. The EMBL International PhD Programme provides comprehensive training that promotes scientific excellence, independence and creativity. We try to maintain a careful balance between theory and practice, between close mentoring and creative freedom, between collaborative teamwork and independence. A concept that works! More than 95% of our students successfully complete their PhD degree and on average they publish two first author papers based on their PhD work. These successes make the EMBL International PhD Programme a role model, which has inspired many similar programmes at science institutions throughout Europe and the world. EMBL has 3 official languages (English, German and French). However, English is most commonly used across sites in the everyday working environment.
Number of award(s): Not Known
Duration of award(s): The typical duration of a PhD thesis at EMBL is 3.5 to 4 years. EMBL predoctoral fellowships are initially awarded for 3.5 years, with the possibility of a half-year extension.
What does it cover? The stipend is competitive by international standards and includes broad health care benefits and pension.
Selection Criteria: All applications are evaluated solely on the basis of qualification and scientific potential.
Notification: Not Known
How to Apply: Applicants can apply online. Application process is as follows:
- Apply for a password in order to access the application form. This needs to be done later until the registration deadline.
- Complete the application form.
- Submit the completed application form, latest by the application deadline.
The applicant can submit his/her application irrespective of the fact if the referees have completed the online reference form or not, as the submission does not impede referees access to the application.
Scholarship Application Deadline:
|Application opens||12 August 2013 CET (GMT +1)|
|Registration Deadline||11 November 2013, 23:59 CET (GMT +1)|
via the Online Application Form.
|Submission Deadline||18 November 2013, 23:59 CET (GMT +1)|
|Reference Deadline||20 November 2013, 23:59 CET (GMT +1)|
|Interview Dates||Will be published closer to the time.|
|Full details about the interview procedure will be sent only to invited candidates.|