The Graduate School of Business at UCT offers five annual Bertha MBA scholarships for African students who have met the requirements for the MBA programme and who are driven by their pursuit in social or green ventures. The scholarship covers full costs of the MBA programme. To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must have started or worked in an entrepreneurial social or green venture, or have worked on sustainable social business strategies within an organisation for at least 1 year. The deadline for 2014 Bertha Scholarships is 31 October 2013.
Study Subject (s): Scholarships are awarded for MBA programme.
Course Level: Scholarships are offered to pursue master degree at the UCT Graduate School of Business.
Scholarship Provider: The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship (The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship has been established at the GSB as a result of a partnership between the GSB and The Bertha Foundation.)
Scholarship can be taken at: South Africa
Eligibility: The criteria used for selection of Bertha Scholars are:
- Candidates must be a resident of an African country.
- Candidates must have started or worked in an entrepreneurial social or green venture, or have worked on sustainable social business strategies within an organisation for at least 1 year.
- Candidates must demonstrate a strong moral character, strong entrepreneurial drive, a track record of action, leadership qualities, traits of social activism and a commitment to the sustainable development of emerging economies.
- Through the submission of an essay, candidates must show how the MBA at this stage in their career will help to accelerate their impact and how it will contribute to the wider creation of value for society.
- Candidates must demonstrate some need for the scholarship, through either previous work experience, personal background or demonstrated commitment to start a social venture, which make self-funding the MBA a significant burden.
Scholarship Open for International Students: African students can apply for this fellowship.
Scholarship Description: The Bertha MBA Scholarships were created to nurture a new generation of social innovators, and to explore entrepreneurial solutions to help solve some of the urgent social and environmental problems of our time. The combination of scholarship, geographic location and leading MBA content in emerging markets provides a unique opportunity for the most talented and innovative students.
Number of award(s): The Graduate School of Business at UCT offers five annual Bertha MBA Scholarships.
What does it cover? The Bertha Scholarship covers full costs of the MBA programme at the UCT Graduate School of Business for candidates committed to social innovation and entrepreneurship.
Notification: Candidates will be notified if they are selected for interview by 15th November 2013. Interviews will take place during the week of 18th November 2013.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit the Bertha Scholarship Application Form together with their UCT MBA application number received from the GSB Admissions Office, contact details and CV to berthacentre-at- gsb.uct.ac.za.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The deadline for 2014 Bertha Scholarships is 31 October 2013.